Welcome

I want to welcome you to the blog for Skills Tutor

Here you will find:

* Information about workshops offered
* Strategies for Reading, Math, and for using Skills Tutor
* Blogs about unemployment and Strategies for Job Search
* The tip of the week
* Google Talk - a place to chat with your instructor
* Job Hunting Tips

Please check this blog often. I try to post new information of interest at least once per week. Thanks, Cheryl

The opinions I express on this blog are purely my own and should not be taken as advice given by CCRI, Network RI or any other organization.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Changing just one word...

More and more I am seeing information that tells me that having a positive attitude makes all the difference - whether it is just about being happy or satisfied with life, finding a new job, or enrollment in a job training program. But how do we make ourselves have a positive attitude? I would say that how we phrase things can make a difference.

Let's say for example, you say "I HAVE to clean the house." It feels like a chore and something negative. What would happen instead, if you said "I want to clean the house and then go outside to enjoy this sunny day." Doesn't this now seem like something positive.

Try it. Every time you were going to say I have to, substitute I want to and see how you feel.

Remember, doing our orientation to Skills Tutor, we often talk about how our past perceptions of things, such as math (I've never been good at Math.), and our "self talk" can hold us back from success.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment