Welcome

I want to welcome you to the blog for Skills Tutor

Here you will find:

* Information about workshops offered
* Strategies for Reading, Math, and for using Skills Tutor
* Blogs about unemployment and Strategies for Job Search
* The tip of the week
* Google Talk - a place to chat with your instructor
* Job Hunting Tips

Please check this blog often. I try to post new information of interest at least once per week. Thanks, Cheryl

The opinions I express on this blog are purely my own and should not be taken as advice given by CCRI, Network RI or any other organization.

Monday, March 14, 2011

How to Get Unstuck: Tips for the Long Term Unemployed

I recently read a blog posting entitled, "How to Get Unstuck: Tips for the Long Term Unemployed". Even if you haven't been out of work for a long time, I think the list of things you can do to get "unstuck" can apply to anyone who is unemployed and not getting the interviews or the job offers that they would like.

The article says, "If you've been out of work for a prolonged period of time, you undoubtedly have run through a spectrum of emotions including anger, sadness and frustration. How do you move forward when nothing seems to be working? The first key is embracing the concept that Change is Good."

Here are the suggestions from the article to help you move forward:

1. Consider going back to school to train for a new field. The period of unemployment is a time when you can devote yourself to learning something new. Of course, most of you already know about the Workforce Solutions training program (because you came to the orientation and enrolled in Skills tutor.) But have you also considered that this may be a good time to learn some things you wouldn't have the time to learn when you are working full time, just for personal satisfaction. Have you always wanted to learn to write better? Have you ever wanted to learn a new language? learn more about gardening? There are many courses and workshops that are held in the community - at CCRI, at the public libraries, at some churches or other agencies.

2. Update or upgrade your skills. If you are in Skills tutor, you are already doing this for whichever subject you need to retest. If you also want to brush up on on subject matters, I can open up new modules once you pass the TABE and before you go to training. Just ask me about what other modules Skills Tutor has.

3. Review training options offered by Department of Labor and Training. Once again, you are already doing this with your career counselor.

4. Research certifications in demand and consider completing self study or online courses. In addition to the training course you are interested in, you may want to consider if you need to update your basic computer skills or other skills which are helpful for any job now. If you don't already know about Metrix, you should ask me or your counselor about what is offered free.

5. Volunteer or do an internship in a field of interest. While I was unemployed, I volunteered at a local high school. Not only was the experience rewarding, it provided me with additional experience that I could add to my resume.

6. Review your job search strategies with an advisor.

7. Have your resume reviewed by a professional and give it a new look. Have you taken advantage of the Cover Letter and Resume Critiquing Workshop here at Network RI. If not, you should think about doing so.

8. Do some mock interviews and make sure you are representing your background in the most favorable light. Each Wednesday, many people take advantage of Fran's Interviewing Skills Workshop. From the sounds that I can hear, participants are enjoying the experience and I suspect that they are learning a lot! Why don't you check it out next time you are here.

As you can tell from my remarks after the suggestions, I think this is a great article and I think Network RI helps customers do most of the suggestions already.

No comments:

Post a Comment