When I opened up this blog today and scrolled down to the job tips, this is what I saw as the job tip of the day.
"If you are seeking a job online, use big and credible job sites. It would be scary if your personal information would be scattered all over the net which anyone can access and use. There are plenty of hackers and identity thieves around."
We know that most job postings today are on the internet. All of our clients here at Network RI are registered for employri.org. Through this website an individual can save his resume, search for job openings, research occupations and get labor market research. Employri.org would be considered a "big and credible job site".
But what other Job Search websites can you trust? The RI Department of Labor and Training lists a number of sites as a service to the customers. It does caution the user that it doesn't endorse or favor any of the sites and has no control over the quality of the information listed on these sites.
A few of the websites listed are:
America's Job Exchange - www.americasjobexchange.com
Jobs in Rhode Island - jobsinri.com
Monster - monster.com
Career Builder - careerbuilder.com
I guess the next question is - how can we be sure that the job postings we find are legitimate? With so much information on the internet, what are the things that we do to ensure that the information is real or valid?
Some of the factors we need to consider are:
Is the source the information comes from someone I would trust?
Is there enough information given so I can do some additional research on the company and the job?
Does the information sound too good to be true?
Am I being asked for personal information that shouldn't be given to a stranger?
Of course, there is so much more to consider about the topic. I'd like to hear your thoughts. Do you use job search websites besides EmployRI? Which do you use? Why do you feel comfortable with the sites? Have you had any bad experiences using a job search site? What do you think about sites such as craigslist?
A resource for clients enrolled in the Skills Tutor Program at Network RI in Providence
Welcome
I want to welcome you to the blog for Skills Tutor
Here you will find:
* Information about workshops offered
* Strategies for Reading, Math, and for using Skills Tutor
* Blogs about unemployment and Strategies for Job Search
* The tip of the week
* Google Talk - a place to chat with your instructor
* Job Hunting Tips
Please check this blog often. I try to post new information of interest at least once per week. Thanks, Cheryl
Here you will find:
* Information about workshops offered
* Strategies for Reading, Math, and for using Skills Tutor
* Blogs about unemployment and Strategies for Job Search
* The tip of the week
* Google Talk - a place to chat with your instructor
* Job Hunting Tips
Please check this blog often. I try to post new information of interest at least once per week. Thanks, Cheryl
The opinions I express on this blog are purely my own and should not be taken as advice given by CCRI, Network RI or any other organization.
No comments:
Post a Comment