Welcome

I want to welcome you to the blog for Skills Tutor

Here you will find:

* Information about workshops offered
* Strategies for Reading, Math, and for using Skills Tutor
* Blogs about unemployment and Strategies for Job Search
* The tip of the week
* Google Talk - a place to chat with your instructor
* Job Hunting Tips

Please check this blog often. I try to post new information of interest at least once per week. Thanks, Cheryl

The opinions I express on this blog are purely my own and should not be taken as advice given by CCRI, Network RI or any other organization.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Reading Comprehension - Cause and Effect

Writers use cause and effect in their writing to add meaning by answering the reader's "why" questions. If you can recognize the cause and effect relationship in a passage, the author's message will be more understandable.

Look for the following clue words that point to a cause and effect relationship:

because since so

therefore due to as a result

Remember that a cause can explain more than one effect (many things can happen as a result of something occurring) Example: Because I burned myself badly while cooking dinner, we didn't eat that night, I went to the urgent care, and I called in sick to work the next day.

And an effect can have more than one cause (More than one event can cause something to happen). Example:I lost my job because I arrived late for work, I yelled at a client, and I didn't show up one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment